In 1878 the Corporation of London and 16 of the City's livery companies signed an agreement which led to the establishment of City & Guilds. The Skinners' Company retains a seat on the Board of Trustees to this day. Whilst City & Guilds schools are no longer so dependent on the financial support of their founders, they continue to value the counsel, experience and support in arguing for a world which recognises the importance of practical skills and technical knowledge. More recently the Skinners' Company through Lawrence Atwell's Charity has been involved in the City & Guilds Access Bursary scheme.
The relationship between the University and the Skinners' Company precedes the University’s inception. The Company was one of the main benefactors of the Northampton Institute which was founded in 1894. The University was created by Royal Charter in 1966. The Company funded postgraduate scholarships within City University’s Sir John Cass Business School until 2009. Recently the relationship has been rekindled with City University becoming one of the partnership organisations receiving support from the Skinners' Company Atwell Awards for Excellence Scheme.
The Trust was established in 1907 by Sir William Treloar, then Lord Mayor of London. Treloar College originally provided classroom education for long-stay orthopaedic patients at a hospital for children with tuberculosis near Alton. Following the introduction of the National Health Service in the late 1940s, the Trust focused on making Treloar College a centre of excellence for the provision of education, independence training, therapy and care of young people with complex physical disability. The Billesdon Endowment Fund, initially a Merchant Taylors' idea to mark the quincentenary of the Billesdon Award, was set up in 1984 to support the needs of young disabled people once they leave Treloar College. The Billesdon Award is jointly funded by the Skinners' Company and the Merchant Taylors, and finances the post of the Billesdon Officer who works closely with a full-time careers advisor to ensure that Treloar students make appropriate choices for life on leaving college.
The Art Memorial Trust was founded by a Declaration of Trust in the late 1950s during the lifetime of Liveryman, Old Tonbridgian, and former Secretary of the City & Guilds Institute, Geoffrey Stephenson. Its main provisions are to award prizes for arts or engraving. Awards in memory of Philip Connard CVO RA and Stephen Gooden were set up in 1959, and augmented by the addition of the Vargas Eyre Design prize in 1961. The names of the prizes were adjusted in 2004 to include a reference to the Skinners' Company - a representative sits on the City & Guilds of London Art School Governing Body.
During the late 1960s and early 70s the Department of Polymer Science & Technology at Brunel University was headed by Dr WA Holmes-Walker ERD TD - Senior Past Master of the Skinners' Company. Dr Holmes-Walker was asked by the Royal College of Art to assist one of its staff with the preparation of plastic sculptures, which he did, and this led to an association with the Skinners' Company that continues to this day - a representative sits on The Royal College of Art Governing Body.
Financial support in the form of bursaries is awarded annually for fees or living costs at each of the following schools or colleges, for between 2 and 6 students who would not otherwise be able to attend due to financial constraints.